MacFUSE State of the Union - [MacFUSE vs. Fuse4X vs. OSXFUSE]

Jeff  Mancuso Jeff Mancuso

MacFUSE State of the Union - [MacFUSE vs. Fuse4X vs. OSXFUSE]

I wanted to provide the casual customer a bit of clarity on the current state of MacFUSE.

For the short of attention:
MacFUSE is dead and doesn't correctly support Lion. Two forks are being developed, both correctly supporting Lion: OSXFUSE is a direct MacFUSE descendent and should largely function as a drop-in replacement. Fuse4X aims to be a pure-FUSE implementation built on top of an updated MacFUSE.

Slightly more detail:
MacFUSE:
The original MacFUSE project is no longer under development. Amit, the author, has moved on to a closed source version [NuFS] that you can license. There are a variety of updates to this code base that have been distributed to get support for Lion and 64-bit Snow Leopard, use them at your own risk.

OSXFUSE [https://github.com/osxfuse/]:
This is a direct descendent of MacFUSE being lead by Erik Larsson and Benjamin Fleischer - it properly supports Lion [as of the 2.3 branch] and is actively developed. It should largely "just work" if you're already using MacFUSE. You can download it from Github - presumably future releases will live at http://osxfuse.github.com

Fuse4X [http://fuse4x.org/]:
MacFUSE is notably "not fuse" - in that largely mimics but does not replicate FUSE interface on Linux. Fuse4X descends from MacFUSE but aims to "be fuse" for the Mac and given that, it no longer stands as a pure replacement for MacFUSE - but intends to provide a MacFUSE compatibility layer eventually. It is being actively developed by Anatol Pomozov [https://github.com/fuse4x].

-Jeff

pepijn (aka fliebel) pepijn (aka fliebel)

Re: MacFUSE State of the Union - [MacFUSE vs. Fuse4X vs. OSXFUSE]

Thanks for clarifying. I read somewhere else that Fuse4X is added to
Macports to replace the Macfuse port in the long term, and that there
is talk of merging Fuse4X upstream into FUSE for Linux.

So what would you recommend for installing the FTP filesystem? As a
'casual customer', Fuse4X seems the most promising, but the situation
is still confusing.

Pepijn

On Aug 24, 3:29 pm, Jeff Mancuso <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wanted to provide the casual customer a bit of clarity on the current
> state of MacFUSE.
>
> For the short of attention:
> MacFUSE is dead and doesn't correctly support Lion. Two forks are being
> developed, both correctly supporting Lion: OSXFUSE is a direct MacFUSE
> descendent and should largely function as a drop-in replacement. Fuse4X aims
> to be a pure-FUSE implementation built on top of an updated MacFUSE.
>
> Slightly more detail:
> MacFUSE:
> The original MacFUSE project is no longer under development. Amit, the
> author, has moved on to a closed source version [NuFS] that you can license.
> There are a variety of updates to this code base that have been distributed
> to get support for Lion and 64-bit Snow Leopard, use them at your own risk.
>
> OSXFUSE [https://github.com/osxfuse/]:
> This is a direct descendent of MacFUSE being lead by Erik Larsson and
> Benjamin Fleischer - it properly supports Lion [as of the 2.3 branch] and is
> actively developed. It should largely "just work" if you're already using
> MacFUSE. You can download it from Github - presumably future releases will
> live athttp://osxfuse.github.com
>
> Fuse4X [http://fuse4x.org/]:
> MacFUSE is notably "not fuse" - in that largely mimics but does not
> replicate FUSE interface on Linux. Fuse4X descends from MacFUSE but aims to
> "be fuse" for the Mac and given that, it no longer stands as a pure
> replacement for MacFUSE - but intends to provide a MacFUSE compatibility
> layer eventually. It is being actively developed by Anatol Pomozov
> [https://github.com/fuse4x].
>
> -Jeff

Jeff Mancuso Jeff Mancuso

Re: MacFUSE State of the Union - [MacFUSE vs. Fuse4X vs. OSXFUSE]

I would recommend my product, ExpanDrive :) Works great!

-Jeff